Creative Producer Lab is returning this year with the aim to discover and develop the next generation of producing talent, and applications are now open. Taking place from August – November 2022, the Lab is open to aspiring, early-career Producers based in the North and the Midlands. Creative Producer Lab will bring together 8 participants from each region, connecting these thriving filmmaking communities through a series of workshops covering essential producing skills. Participants will leave the lab with a solid foundation in all practical aspects of managing a production, an expanded network of collaborators and peers, and the skills they need to make an impact in their local film industry.
Creative Producer Lab is supported by the BFI NETWORK teams at Film Hub North and Film Hub Midlands and delivered by Northern-based Producers Holly Carrington (Diploid Productions) and Barrington Paul Robinson (Redbag Pictures). As well as benefiting from insights from the Lab leaders, participants will hear from industry expert guest speakers and pick up specialist knowledge in key aspects of the production process.
Creative Producer Lab will consist of online talks and sessions, online and in-person mixers and visits to facilities houses. Sessions will take place twice per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout late August and September covering issues such as producing fundamentals, building a slate, budgeting and scheduling, pre-production, shooting, post-production, casting and distribution.
Applications close at 1pm on Friday 15th July.
Who's it for?
We're looking for people with a lively and proven interest in film producing. The ideal Creative Producer Lab candidate will have good communication skills, a commitment to storytelling and the ability to work collaboratively.
Applicants should be Creative Producers based in the North or the Midlands who are in the early stages of creating their slate. To be eligible for the Creative Producer Lab you must:
- Have an interest in producing the work of others
- Be over 18 and not in full time education
- Have made one short film or theatre piece as a Producer or Production Manager, or have an equivalent level of experience across other roles (eg. Assistant Director, Project Manager or similar)
- Have a passion for cinema and an idea about what stories you want to tell
- Be based in the North of England or the Midlands
- Be able to attend all of the weekly sessions outlined in the programme timeline below
If you’d like to know more about Creative Producer Lab, we’re hosting an information session from 11am-12pm on Monday 11th July to ask any questions you may have about the programme. Information Sessions take place via Zoom and will be hosted by a member of our Talent Development Team. You can sign up for the information session here.
Draft Programme Timeline
- June 21 - Open for applications
- July 15 - Applications close
- July 28 - Participants informed of selection & interviews booked
- Aug 25-Sept 29 - Talks programme taking place Tuesday and Thursday evenings weekly
- August Thu 25 - Talent Mixer
- August Tue 30 - Meeting 1
- September Thu 1 - Meeting 2
- September Tue 6 - Meeting 3
- September Thu 8 - Meeting 4
- September Tue 13 - Meeting 5
- September Thu 15 - Meeting 6
- September Tue 20 - Meeting 7
- September Thu 22 - Meeting 8
- September Tue 27 - Meeting 9
- September Thu 29 - Meeting 10
- Kit House Visit TBC
- Post House Visit TBC
- November TBC - Leeds Film Festival meetup
How to apply
To apply, simply complete our online application form linked below.
The form asks you to share some information about yourself, your creative background, why you want to be a Producer and what kind of films you want to make. If you'd like to prepare offline before completing the online form, we've put together a downloadable list of the questions asked for reference. For some questions, there is the option to answer via a written response, or an audio or video recording. If you'd prefer to answer via audio/video, just upload the relevant file when prompted.
Applications close at 1pm on Friday, 15th July.
Applicants will be notified of decisions on 28th July. Shortlisted candidates may be invited for a 20-minute interview as part of the process.
If you have any questions about the Lab or the application process, please send an email with the subject line “CREATIVE PRODUCER LAB APPLICATION” to our team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creative Producer Lab is hosted by FHN and FHM and delivered by Diploid Productions and Redbag Pictures.