Our Short Film funding programme supports projects with directors based in England and is run in partnership with the BFI NETWORK Talent Executives who work with filmmakers on the delivery of funded projects..
This fund is for fiction shorts, in both live action and animation. We want to support short films that:
- bring exciting new voices and bold narratives to the screen;
- provide space for experimentation and idea-testing;
- advance the careers of the filmmakers involved through showcasing their abilities to the industry and the public.
We support standalone short films and this can include projects that have the potential, further down the line, to be developed into other forms or formats (e.g. a feature film, content in serial form, etc.). The fund is intended to stimulate new ideas and stories, so it doesn’t support adaptations of existing material.
This fund provides grants to support the production costs of short films. Each award of funding is accompanied by creative oversight of the short film by a BFI NETWORK Talent Executive. As well as working with filmmakers prior to and during production, they may also be able to advise you on:
- finding screening opportunities regionally and further afield;
- potential collaborators for your project;
- festival strategy for your film;
- other means to gain industry exposure for your work.