Have an idea for a short film and want to develop it into a script with a group of peers? If so read more below.
The aim of this programme is to help writers and writer/directors develop an early-stage idea for a short film into a script over the course of three months.
We will select up to eight writers based in the Midlands to attend sessions online, meeting regularly to collaboratively develop their short film narratives from early ideas to treatment to completed drafts.
Originally designed by Film Hub South East, the programme will be facilitated by script and story editor Jessica Jones and Film Hub Midlands BFI NETWORK Talent Executive Alexzandra Jackson plus other industry guests, delivering peer-to-peer mentoring and feedback sessions as well as providing individual guidance and notes for writer development. We will also invite producers to meet with all selected writers for script pitching sessions.
You will need to be able to give 1.5 hours a week over 12 weeks to the programme and additional writing time.
The deadline to apply to the programme is Monday 4 January 2021 at 23:59
Who can apply?
Participation in the BFI NETWORK x Film Hub Midlands Short Film Development Programme is free and open to writers working in any creative discipline who have an idea for a short film under 15 minutes in length.
Before you apply please note:
- We welcome applications from individuals as well as co-writing teams. You do not need to be working with a producer or director in order to apply.
- You must be based in the Midlands region (as defined by the BFI) and able to commit to attending a range of writing workshops, development sessions and industry events, as well as completing assigned writing work between meetings.
- Your script ideas must be original e.g. not based on existing novels, short stories or other literary works.
- This programme is for early short film script ideas, not ideas that are already in script form. If you have a more developed idea with an existing script, we suggest you consider applying for BFI NETWORK Short Film Funding.
- Acceptance to this programme does not guarantee success in receiving BFI NETWORK Short Film Funding.
- The programme is free and will remain online under the current circumstances.
- The full programme schedule is to be confirmed.
Applications open: 1 December 2020
Applications close: 4 January 2021 at 23:59
Participants informed of place: 12 January 2021
Programme start date: 17 January 2021 (this date is subject to change)