BFI FAN has been supporting new film releases since 2016. The aim is to better connect the worlds of distribution and exhibition, and ensure that important independent releases find a place in cinemas, and connect with audiences across the UK. Support for exhibitors screening FAN-supported New Release titles is focused on reaching young people, aged 16-30.
- An open submission process for the five film titles supported each year.
- Longer-term audience development support for key film hub venues across the UK.
- Booking Now - a monthly newsletter for Film Hub member exhibitors and venues.
From summer 2018, BFI FAN will support five New Release titles each year, selected by representatives from BFI FAN, BFI, Into Film and the Independent Cinema Office.
Anyone can submit a film for consideration, submissions from film exhibitors, venues and distributors are particularly welcome.
To qualify for FAN support, submitted films must meet at least three of the criteria below, in addition to a clear rationale for its appeal to a young audience (16-30 years).
- Go beyond the mainstream offer and may be perceived as ‘risky’ or ‘challenging’.
- Have potential to engage diverse audiences (as per BFI Diversity Standards).
- Show a diversity of on-screen portrayals, cultures and languages.
- Tell distinctive British stories – with a focus on non-London.
- Make a particular contribution to the art of film (for example a distinctive style).
- FAN can impact on in terms of audience reach and engagement.
Please note FAN will only support films scheduled for release by the FDA and certified by BBFC.
If you have any questions about the submission process, please get in touch with Film Hub South West via email.
Longer-term audience development support
This support is focused on developing young (aged 16-30) audiences for independent new releases. A minimum of one venue from each Film Hub every year from 2018-2022 can receive this support through an annual call for applications.
This support includes:
- An audience development workshop – get expert help to create a plan that works for your venue, aimed at developing 16-30 audiences for new releases.
- Help implementing your plan from a local marketing consultant.
- Access to the regional campaign budget for additional marketing or event activity for each of the FAN-supported titles.
A new, monthly newsletter delivered to all FAN members (launching Summer 2018). It includes booking opportunities for new releases, as well as nationwide seasons (e.g. the BFI Blockbuster) and touring programmes plus offers for exhibitors – e.g. talent available for Q&A events and info on any regional marketing support available for specific titles.
Only registered FAN Film Hub members will automatically receive this newsletter, so you need to be a member of Film Hub Midlands to receive Booking Now.
BFI FAN Marketing Pack
Designed especially for exhibitors and containing event and marketing ideas, copy, images, assets, press and email outreach templates to help effectively promote the film.
An extended press and marketing campaign co-ordinated by regional marketers in each Film Hub area to raise visibility and attendance.
Access to a small campaign budget for grassroots marketing or event activity, e.g. social media advertising or a special event.